Oxford University Press introduces its brilliant authors to the blogosphere.
The talented authors of Oxford University Press provide daily commentary on nearly every subject under the sun, from philosophy to literature to economics. OUPblog is a source like no other on the blogosphere for learning, understanding and reflection.
History, Law, Economics, Politics, Science, Art & Architecture, Geography, Literature, Medicine, Music, Philosophy, Physics, Psychology, Religion & Theology, and Biography
Unless otherwise indicated, this Blog and its contents are the property of Oxford University Press, Inc. (“OUP”). The site and its contents are protected, without limitation, pursuant to U.S. copyright and trademark laws. By accessing this Blog, you agree to the following terms and conditions. If you do not agree, you have no right or license to access this Blog and you should not do so.
1. You are authorized to download one copy of the material on this Blog on one computer for your personal, non-commercial use only. In doing so, you may not remove or in any way alter any trademark, copyright, or other proprietary notice. You may also duplicate and reference limited portions of this material on your own Web Site, on the condition that you provide attribution and links with such comments back to this site, and that such uses are within the definition of the “fair use” doctrine of the US copyright law. Except as allowed in the preceding sentence, you may not modify, copy, distribute, republish, commercially exploit, or upload the material on this Blog without the prior written consent of OUP. No intellectual property or other rights in and to this Blog, other than the limited right to use set forth above, are transferred to you.
2. To the extent that portions of this provide users an opportunity to post and exchange information, ideas and opinions ("Postings"), be advised that OUP has no obligation to screen, edit, or review postings prior to their appearance on this blog, and Postings do not necessarily reflect the views of OUP. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable laws, OUP shall in no event have any responsibility or liability for the Postings or for any claims, damages, or losses resulting from their use and/or appearance on this Site.
3. OUP reserves the right to monitor all Postings and to remove any which it considers in its absolute discretion to be offensive or otherwise inappropriate or in breach of these terms and conditions.
4. You hereby represent and warrant that you have all necessary rights in and to all Postings you provide and all material they contain; that your Postings shall not infringe any proprietary or other rights of third parties; that your Postings shall not contain any viruses or other contaminating or destructive devices or features; that your Postings shall not contain any defamatory, indecent, offensive, tortious, or otherwise unlawful material or content; and that your Postings shall not be used to carry out or solicit any unlawful activity and/or be used to make commercial solicitations.
5. You hereby authorize OUP to use and/or authorize others to use all or part of your Postings in any manner, format, or medium that OUP or such other parties see fit. You also grant to OUP the right to use your name in connection with the submitted materials. You shall have no claim or other recourse against OUP for infringement of any proprietary right in Postings.
6. OUP MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES WITH RESPECT TO THIS BLOG OR ITS CONTENTS, WHICH ARE PROVIDED FOR USE "AS IS." OUP DISCLAIMS ALL WARRANTIES, EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING WITHOUT LIMITATION THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF TITLE, NON-INFRINGEMENT, MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, WITH RESPECT TO THE BLOG AND ANY WEB SITE WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED. OUP ALSO MAKES NO REPRESENTATIONS OR WARRANTIES AS TO WHETHER THE INFORMATION ACCESSIBLE VIA THIS BLOG, OR ANY WEB SITE WITH WHICH IT IS LINKED, IS ACCURATE, COMPLETE, OR CURRENT.
7. To the fullest extent permitted by applicable laws, OUP and its officers, employees and agents shall in no event be liable for any claims, charges, demands, damages, liabilities, losses, and expenses of whatever nature and howsoever arising, including without limitation any compensatory, incidental, direct, indirect, special, punitive, or consequential damages, loss of use, loss of data, loss caused by a computer or electronic virus, loss of income or profit, loss of or damage to property, claims of third parties, or other losses of any kind or character, even if OUP has been advised of the possibility of such damages or losses, arising out of or in connection with the use of this Blog or any WEB SITE with which it is linked. You assume total responsibility for establishing such procedures for data back up and virus checking as you consider necessary.
8. You hereby agree to indemnify and hold harmless OUP from and against any and all claims, charges, demands, damages, liabilities, losses, expenses, and liabilities of whatever nature and howsoever arising (including but not limited to any legal or other professional fees and any loss of profit, goodwill, and any other direct or consequential loss) incurred or suffered by OUP directly or indirectly by reason of any act or omission which you commit in breach of these terms and conditions and the obligations and warranties contained in them.